Our Daughters Are...

Friday, November 25, 2011

So much to be thankful for

With yesterday being Thanksgiving and reading everyone's blog posts and status updates about what they are thankful for, it also got me thinking about how much Matt and I really have to be thankful for.  And really, these are things that we should acknowledge daily and not just one day out of the year.  We have a healthy marriage, a house that is safe, warm, and that we are able to raise a family in, secure jobs that allow us to pay our bills and then some, great families, and our little one on the way, who we will get to meet in just about 6 weeks or so!  And really, something that trumps all those things, we are also so thankful to know Jesus and for the sacrifice He made for us.

We were lucky to be able to make the trip down to spend Thanksgiving with my family this year.  We weren't sure how I'd be feeling, but my doctor gave me the okay to drive down since "it's only 2 hours and they have good hospitals down there."  Thankfully, we haven't needed the hospital part :)  I spent Tuesday evening and part of Wednesday sick with the stomach flu, but that passed fairly quickly and I felt pretty much back to normal by Wednesday night so we went ahead with our plans to come down.  I'm so glad that we did, especially since we won't get to come down at Christmas.  It was great to see my grandparents and other family members at my mom and stepdad's house.  The food was delicious and we had a good time visiting with everyone.  Plus, my mom coordinated a little bit of a baby shower for us after we ate!  I knew about it ahead of time, but once again, I was overwhelmed with people's generosity.  Baby B now has an activity mat for tummy time, lots of sleep.sacks and swaddlers, some really soft blankets, and some more bath toys, along with some sun shades for the car. 

We also went to my dad's parents' house (yes, I'm fortunate enough to still have all four of my grandparents).  I hadn't seen this side of my family at all since Matt and I found out I was pregnant, though I've talked with my grandma on the phone a few times.  Once again, it was so good to see my grandparents and aunts, uncles, and cousins.  We got to celebrate my cousin's daughter's birthday - she was born on Thanksgiving Day 13 years ago, and while her actual birthday is today, we had cupcakes and sang to her yesterday.  It blows me away that she's already a teenager, and that her sisters are (almost) 11 and 9.  And speaking of blowing me away, I was completely surprised when all of a sudden my aunts and cousins come walking into the living/dining room with bags full of presents for Baby B yelling "Happy baby shower!"  This is not a side of my family that I'm close with, but again, I was completely overwhelmed by their excitement over Baby B's impending arrival.  Baby B got some really cute clothes and sleepers, along with our bottle warmer, bu.mbo seat, and Ang.el.Car.e monitor.  Everyone kept saying how they couldn't wait to meet Baby B and to find out if he/she is a girl or a boy.  Everyone kept making guesses yesterday :)

My mom, sister, and I kept up our holiday tradition of going to see a movie last night, and then my mom and stepdad went out shopping.  I used to go, but didn't last year or this year.  There's not really been anything I've needed or wanted enough to go out and fight the crowds. 

All in all, yesterday was a great day and I'm so glad Matt and I were able to come down and spend the holiday with family.  And I'm so thankful for a family who is so excited to welcome Baby B into the world relatively soon.  This baby is going to be so loved by so many people.  Actually, I think he/she already is.

I hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment