Our Daughters Are...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The hardest thing I've ever done...

Pregnancy and labor were nothing compared to breastfeeding.  While the past two weeks have been wonderful meeting and getting to know our daughter, they've also been the hardest two weeks of my life.  When Eleanor was born, no one at the hospital showed me how to get her to latch on properly.  The lactation consultant who stopped in my room the first two days never got closer than a foot away from my bed, and aside from bringing my a different size nipple shield, didn't offer anything.  And since I'd never breastfed before, I had no idea if I was doing it right so when she asked how it was going I said I thought okay.  Once we got home, things went even more downhill.  Every time I fed Eleanor I was crying and biting my shirt in pain.  I was bleeding and sore.  Finally the Saturday after Eleanor was born Matt called a private lactation consultant to come out to the house.  She showed me how to get Eleanor latched on correctly, which made a world of difference.  But by that point, I was already pretty damaged physically from 5 days of incorrect latching.  When Eleanor was a week old we visited the lactation department at the hospital where she was born.  At this appointment we found out that I already had mastitis. The lactation consultant there wouldn't even let me nurse because I was so hurt and scabbed.  She had me pump and feed Eleanor through a special bottle.  However, after a day of that I wasn't able to keep up with how much Eleanor was eating so I took her off the bottle and started her back on the breast.  This led to two days of Eleanor feeding for 40 minutes at a time, only to wake up 20 minutes later hungry and wanting to eat again.  So we made another trip to a lactation consultant, where we learned two things.  One, Eleanor is a biter.  When she latches on, she likes to chomp down several times before beginning to eat.  Two, she's a lazy nurser.  She likes to fall asleep a few minutes into nursing and is very hard to wake up.  So for the past four days feeding sessions have lasted an hour or more with me feeding Eleanor from both sides twice.  The whole time I'm feeding her I've been doing all sorts of shenanigans to keep her awake - undressing her, changing her diaper, playing with her feet, rubbing her with a cold washcloth - you name it, we've done it.  This is much harder to do by myself now that Matt is back at work.  Today I went to a breastfeeding support group and had a bit of a breakdown.  Eleanor has not really gained any weight in almost a week and she is still only taking an ounce or so at each feeding, which is not nearly enough.  And I can't get her to stay awake, at all.  My milk supply has dropped dramatically because Eleanor isn't eating much, and I'm not eating enough to sustain my milk production because I am feeding Eleanor all the time. The lactation consultant at the support group told me to feed Eleanor every two hours and pump after 4 feedings a day.  This means that I would get an hour or less of sleep/break between feedings all day long.  And I was told that if Eleanor didn't start gaining weight soon, we'd be in trouble.  So after much crying on my part (and I mean the ugly-crying, sobbing kind of crying) and realizing that I'm not able to provide the nourishment that our daughter needs, Matt and I decided tonight that we're done.  We've exhausted our options and in the end, Eleanor needs to grow.  And she needs a mom who enjoys her rather than a mom who dreads when the two hour mark gets close on the clock because it means another feeding, another unsatisfied baby, and more tears.  So tonight Eleanor will get her first bottle of formula.  I breastfed her before dinner tonight and cried knowing that it was likely the last time I would feed her that way.  I'm feeling a lot of guilt.  Breastfeeding was one thing I was determined to make work.  I had even told Matt that he wasn't allowed to let me quit for the first six weeks.  But I never thought I'd want/need to quit because my child wasn't getting what they needed; I always thought I would struggle because of the pain.  Now I can get her latched on decently and once we get through the biting things are usually okay.  But she's not eating, and I don't know how to get her to eat.  I gave Eleanor a bottle of pumped breast milk after feeding her this evening and she gulped it down and is now out cold.  Clearly she was still hungry and I can't bear the thought of starving my child, even unintentionally.  So the plan is for me to pump until my supply is gone, and we will give Eleanor any milk that I pump.  But eventually Eleanor will be on formula only.  Emotionally I'm having a hard time with that, but it's what we feel is best for our family as a whole.  And hopefully someday when we give Eleanor a brother or sister this whole journey is a smoother one.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this! Hopefully the formula will make a difference and her tummy will be full. Good luck making the switch, especially emotionally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will work for the better! I pumped and fed for 5 months. Just try to pump every time you would feed her for a good 20 minutes and see if your milk supply goes up. There is also fenugreek that you can take to up your supply. You might want to look into that. Don't give up completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to Matt about this today, so I hope my comment isn't stalkerish even though you don't know me. :-) The first few weeks of nursing are crazy difficult. You wouldn't think it'd be that hard, but it is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I had a hard time with my oldest daughter, Claire, and I just wanted to completely give up. She had some issues with her head at birth since she was vacuumed, so she didn't really breastfeed until day 3. I pumped and pumped and fed her when I could, but my supply was also affected because she wouldn't eat. So, we had to supplement with formula. When she would nurse, it took for.ev.er...like you talked about. I felt like I had zero time to myself, and I got depressed thinking about the next feeding.

    However, after 6 weeks (I know that seems like a long time when you are suffering through it) things finally got better. We were gradually able to stop using formula, and my supply was finally enough for her.

    It sounds like you don't want to stop nursing, and I know you've seen several LCs, but here's my advice if you want to keep trying...coming from a momma who was in the same boat:

    --Drink LOTS of water! I kept the hospital jug next time at all times and refilled it as soon as it was out.
    --Pump, pump, pump. I know pumping sucks (literally), but it does help your supply. I had to pump from day one since she didn't nurse right away. I hated getting up every few hours at night to pump while my husband gave Claire a bottle of BM or formula, but once your supply is established and regulated it's not so bad.
    --I know being tied down to the couch or chair with a baby who eats all the time is no fun, but enjoy the snuggles. :-) I watched a lot of TV, read a lot of books, and edited pictures on my laptop. You have nothing to do right now but snuggle and love Eleanor. :-)
    --Try to rest as much as possible and don't stress about nursing....that will also affect your supply.

    There were so many times during the first 4-6 weeks that I wanted to give up. I kept hoping my husband would let me off the hook, but I'm glad I kept at it. I know you had a hard day yesterday (as well as the past two weeks), but if you really want to nurse then try to hang in there. It does get better. Supplement with formula if you have to, but just pump in place of that missed nursing session.

    Or, you can keep pumping and supplementing. You don't have to give up breast milk altogether. Any amount is better than nothing.

    Sorry this was long! Just wanted to let you know I was in your shoes once, and I made it 14.5 months. I was able to stop supplementing after 6 or so weeks, and then we had to add in formula again around 8 months because my supply couldn't keep up. Let me know if you have any questions!

    Also, feel free to ignore my advice, lol. :-) Ultimately, you have to do what's best for you and little Eleanor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and make sure you eat a lot. You have to eat more now than you did when you were pregnant. (Crazy!) I won't even tell you how many Big Mac's or Double Cheeseburgers I ate, lol. When my supply would start to dip, my husband would make a McDonald's run. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing mother. Absolutely amazing. The hard decisions will never end, but isn't it nice to know you've had to make your first really, really hard one and that you survived? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Emily! I'm so sorry that things haven't gone smoothly for you. I struggled with breastfeeding, too, and completely understand your feelings! Here are a couple of things that I hope will help: (1) you gave her the colostrum which my pediatrician believed was really the most important thing you could give a newborn; (2) you are doing the right thing if it's not working for both of you. I know it's hard-I was devastated that I had to give it up. But, once my babies were being bottle-fed, they were so much happier and healthier and so was I! (At five weeks, Olivia still hadn't regained her birth weight and was labeled "failure to thrive". That's a scary place to be!) My sis-in-law never did nurse at the breast but was able to pump for my nephew's entire first year. Take good care of yourself (rest, drink lots of water, eat well) and who knows what will happen with the pumping? Hang in there! You and Matt love your baby girl and THAT is the most important thing. I'll be thinking of you and praying that things go more smoothly in the coming days! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete