Our Daughters Are...

Monday, March 26, 2012

It still seems surreal

I've been pregnant.  I've carried a baby who grew from a tiny little embryo into a person.  The baby we saw in ultrasound photos and watched move around during the ultrasounds is the same baby we now hold in our arms (or, more recently, up on our shoulders so she can look around and see everything).  The flutters that turned into kicks and jabs and stretches, visible to the naked eye when one watched my stomach, were some of the same movements that Eleanor makes now.  The hiccups we felt and saw while I was pregnant still happen today, though now they are very audible :)  My body stretched and changed to accomodate a growing person and provided everything that tiny baby needed for nearly 40 weeks.  When you stop to think about it, that's pretty darn amazing.  I grew a person.  I've been through labor and given birth to a child.  Matt and I have a daughter who will be 12 weeks old tomorrow.  That still all seems to surreal sometimes, that we've experienced all that in less than a year.  And while it's crazy that Eleanor is almost 12 weeks old, it's one of those odd realizations.  On one hand, 12 weeks is not a very long time.  But on the other hand, it's difficult sometimes to remember life without her.  It's as if she's always been here.  Yes, life has changed since Eleanor was born, but it's as though this is exactly the way things are meant to be.

There are two songs by JJ Heller that I've listened to a few times, and while the lyrics aren't super deep, sometimes they just stop me in my tracks when I realize just how blessed Matt and I are to have Eleanor and get to be her parents.

The first is When I'm With You


The second is I Get To Be the One



No comments:

Post a Comment